Cadiz traces its beginnings to the establishment of a traditional settlement in a place known as Cadiz Viejo, near the banks of Hitalon River. Historical records showed that in 1861, the Spaniards came and named the settlement Cadiz because of its northern location which reminded them of the seaport by the same name in Spain.
Cadiz became a municipality independent from Saravia (now E.B Magalona) in 1878. Its first appointed Gobernadorcillo was Antonio Cabahug, married to Capitana Francisca Cito. The outbreak of the Spanish-American War saw Cadiz taking part in the insurrection. Her sons and daughters headed by Francisco Abelarde, took up arms against their Spanish masters.
During the short-lived government of the cantonal state of the Federal Republica de Negros, Jose Lopez Vito was elected its president. At the onset of American rule, Cadiz was on its way to prosperity with the operation of two lumber companies in the area. The war years brought a stop to all these economic activities and much suffering to the people of Cadiz. The resistance movement put up the civil government in the mountains to deal with civilian affairs. In the post-war election of 1952, Joaquin Ledesma was elected mayor.
On July 1967, Cadiz was inaugurated as a city by virtue of Republic Act No. 4894 which was passed by Congress on June 17, 1967. The Act was authored by the late Congressman Armando Gustilo.
Cadiz was also known as the city of whales. Long ago 12 whales swam upon the shore. People of cadiz did all there best to try and save it. No one knew how they got there the first place.
(c) cadiz city website